Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reflections

During Teacher's Day, I was awarded an unexpected award. Prior to that, there were already students telling me personally that they voted for me and i was quite surprised as these were coming from students that I constantly loved to nag and scold at. Jokingly, i told the class to not vote for me as I loved being in the background and do not like going on stage in front of the school. They laughed.

I knew the chances were not high and I didnt take it too seriously. On that day, the usual top guns were named and my name popped out of nowhere. Stunned, as the cheers rang throughout the hall. And then my name was called as the winner. Most Caring Teacher Award. What did I do to deserve this? I was definitely not one of the best teachers in school and there are times where i question whether i am an effective teacher in the classrooms.

I am honoured.I scold them but hopefully, they see that it is my way of caring for them and reminding them to buck up. I treat them as friends at times and hopefully, they see that teachers can be relatable and approachable. I try to produce the best lessons and notes and hopefully, they see that learning can be fun and easy. I have my off days when they test my patience but hopefully, they see that i am only human. Most importantly, i share my personal experiences and lessons learnt so that they realise that education is important for them to shape their own futures.

It was not my first job choice and i do question my intentions of joining the teaching force but it's little moments like these that makes you feel that what you are doing is worthwhile.

3 comments:

Mum in the Making said...

Congrats! :) I'm sure your students see how much you care, and I'm not surprised that they voted for you!

yan said...

i'm happy for u! u have always been a caring friend and u are definitely deserving of that award :)

Dennis Tng said...

Its probably a little overdue but congrats!! Being in the wrong career path is a bummer, but there are its little perks. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...